DAOM Mission Statement
The CSTCM DAOM program is an advanced practice doctoral program in Chinese Medicine from the classics with a focus on clinical application of theory, diagnosis, and treatment methods. The intention of the program is training students to apply classical treatment methods for the best possible clinical outcomes.
DAOM Statement of Purpose
The CSTCM DAOM program’s purpose is to train experts in Classical Chinese Medicine theory, clinical application, and research methods to advance the professional’s ability to practice as independent health care providers in a variety of settings.
DAOM Program Goals
● Provide the student with an advanced, in-depth education in Chinese Medicine from the classics’ theory, diagnosis, and treatment methods
● Advance the student’s ability to apply Chinese Medicine from the classics’ theory to diagnosis, clinical treatment, and research
● Develop the student’s ability to engage in Chinese Medicine from the classics’ collaborative interactions with other acupuncture and health care practitioners
● Improve the student’s ability to think critically, synthesize knowledge, and use research findings from scientific and scholarly literature to support their professional practice
● Provide the student with an opportunity for frequent and in-depth discourse between faculty and students resulting in the development of an academic community to enrich and advance the profession by contributing to the development of future generations of practitioners, faculty, researchers, clinical supervisors, and leaders in the profession.
DAOM Program Learning Outcomes
Building upon the Program Learning Outcomes of a Masters or Professional Doctorate degree in Acupuncture or Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, on completion of the DAOM program, graduates will be able to:
• Understand Chinese Medicine from the classics’ foundational premise of the relationship of the universe and life on earth in the application of its’ theory
• Demonstrate a comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of Chinese Medicine from the classics’ theory, its’ methods of diagnosis, and treatment strategies using both acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine in clinical practice
• Reference classical texts and apply effective Chinese Medicine from the classics’ treatment strategies in clinical practice
• Understand the use and value of biomedical diagnostic testing and communicate effectively with patients and other health professionals about test results and procedures relevant to patient care
• Provide Chinese Medicine from the classics’ treatment strategies for a wide range of conditions as an independent practitioner or as part of a collaborative, integrative, and interdisciplinary team of healthcare providers
• Understand research methodologies and their use in guiding the application of effective Chinese Medicine from the ancient classics’ treatment methods in clinical practice
• Demonstrate the ability to fulfill professional leadership and advanced teaching roles with a commitment to lifelong learning
CSTCM is also committed to:
Ongoing Continuing Education
• In addition to the core programs, CSTCM believes it is critical to promote and provide students,
• graduates, faculty, and licensed practitioners with high-quality continuing education.
Serving the Community
• CSTCM is committed to providing a low-cost clinic for the community,
• providing speakers for various public events
• offering lectures and workshops appropriate for the public