The Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine’s (CSTCM) mission is to graduate effective Chinese Medicine practitioners who work to attain the best patient care outcomes, using the skilled application of Chinese Medicine in clinical, educational, and collaborative settings.
Educational Statement of Purpose
CSTCM is dedicated to being one of Chinese Medicine’s educational leaders and is committed to placing high-quality professional Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine education before all other factors. CSTCM is devoted to developing clinically effective graduates who: value personal and academic growth, who are compassionate, ethical, professional, and inspired to participate in and promote the development of Chinese Medicine and provide a high standard of healthcare from a sound theoretical and clinical understanding. CSTCM strives to graduate practitioners who are able to practice as independent health care providers in a variety of settings and are inspired to advance their knowledge, skills, and abilities as they work to advance Chinese Medicine to benefit patients and the health care community.
Graduates of the MAc and MAcCHM programs at CSTCM will:
- accurately formulate comprehensive treatment plans based on differential diagnoses utilizing acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine.
- be technically competent in applying adjunctive therapies including tui na, moxibustion, cupping, auricular therapy, and diet and lifestyle principles.
- be knowledgeable and have a fundamental understanding of the body from the biomedical perspective and identify conditions requiring referral to other healthcare providers when necessary.
- communicate professionally and knowledgeably with their patients, other healthcare providers and their community about the efficacy, safety and principles of acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
- understand the ethical and legal requirements of the acupuncture and Chinese Medicine profession and enter the profession with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide compassionate, ethical and professional services to their communities.
- be assets to the larger community of Chinese medicine practitioners, supporting state, national and international organizations that promote the practice and education of Chinese Medicine.
Program Learning Outcomes
CSTCM’s Mission, Purpose and Goals are the foundation for the MAc, MAcCHM, DAc, and DAcCHM Program Learning Outcomes. Graduates of the CSTCM MAc and MAcCHM Programs will be able to:
- make accurate Chinese Medicine assessment, differential diagnosis/es, skillfully apply appropriate treatment principles and treatment plans competently provide acupuncture, cupping, electro-stimulation, moxibustion, tui-na, Chinese Medicine diet, exercise, meditation, and lifestyle recommendations and (MAcCHM Program) Chinese Herbal Medicine.
- understand biomedical principles, assessment and diagnostic methods to make appropriate referrals for health care.
- communicate professionally about Chinese Medicine to patients, the community and health care providers.
- understand and apply legal, ethical, and business principles and standards to the practice of Chinese Medicine in a variety of care settings.
- demonstrate knowledge of multiple practice and business models.
- develop practice policies and procedures and create business and marketing plans that will support a successful solo or group practice.
- display ethical, compassionate, and professional conduct with patients and peers.
- value continued growth and development in Chinese Medicine knowledge and skills
- be inspired to participate in state and national professional organizations and promote the ongoing development of Chinese Medicine.
Professional Doctorate Learning Outcomes
include all the master’s degree program learning outcomes and the Professional Doctorate (DAc, DAcCHM) graduate will be able to:
- Include and integrate Chinese Medicine with current research and evidence informed practices for patient care.
- provide quality Chinese Medicine patient care within collaborative and integrative settings.
- communicate effectively with patients and other health professionals as an independent practitioner and as part of a collaborative, integrative and interdisciplinary team of practitioners.
- develop a personal professional development plan that ensures continuing professional growth and development for the benefit of the practitioner, the profession, patients, and the health care community
CSTCM is also committed to:
Ongoing Continuing Education
- In addition to the core programs, CSTCM believes it is critical to promote and provide students, graduates, faculty, and licensed practitioners with high-quality continuing education.
Serving the Community
- CSTCM is committed to providing a low-cost clinic for the community, providing speakers for various public events, offering lectures and workshops appropriate for the public.